Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Ibiebe Alphabets and Ideograms
Binding: Hard Cover
First published: 2006
Publisher: Ovuomaroro Studio Press
Subject: African Studies
This book has introductions by Drs. Richard Singletary and Pat Oyelola.
The Ibiebe series by Bruce Onobrakpeya features his invented script of ideographic geometric and curvilinear glyphs. The designs reflect the artist's knowledge of his Urhobo heritage, rich in symbols and the proverbs they elicit, as well as his appreciation of Chinese, Japanese, Ghanaian and Nigerian calligraphy. Onobrakpeya invented and refined this script called Ibiebe from 1978 to 1986, when he revisited in his art, ideas linked with traditional religion, customs and history. The artist clearly delights in the script's forms and visual qualities as well as its power to communicate.These ibiebe ideograms which are often abstract, also lend themselves to calligraphic, painterly and sculptural presentation.
- ► 2012 (13)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (32)
- Spirit of New Oshogbo Art: Artist Rahmon Olugunna
- HARMATTAN GALLERY WELCOMES N. ODEBIYI
- 2010 HARMATTAN ART WORKSHOP
- DOCUMENTARY ON NIGERIAN ART
- FILM ON NIGERIAN ART
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN ART
- NIGERIAN ART RIVALS THE VERY BEST IN THE WORLD
- Okorodus Exhibits Immigraliens at the Harmattan G...
- Immigraliens:Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture...
- Ibiebe Alphabets and Ideograms
- Recent works by Bruce Onobrakpeya
- ▼ September (12)